Monday, May 24, 2010

Oh Bubbins!


I didn't think the meadow had grown enough for a cutting but I guess I was wrong. It makes for a weird day when farmer Bubbins mows as I have to keep the cats indoors while the machines and trucks do their thing. It also throws a lot of pollen into the air and disrupts all the ground nesting birds, which makes the crows and seagulls happy. For a few years the University of Vermont were here studying the Georgia Sparrow (ground nesters) that travel all the way to upstate New York to nest in the meadows. The University wondered what the repercussions were to the sparrow population when their habitat is routinely destroyed 2-3 times a season. I have no idea what their conclusion was, but I have noticed that this year I have not seen many sparrows.It's a choice between sparrows and feeding the cows. Cows 1...sparrows 0
Oh the joys of living in the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it truly makes my day to read your thoughtful remarks!
Tina xo