Saturday, June 18, 2011

What a Difference a Day Makes

I live in area surrounded by farmer's fields. Some planted with corn and other crops I am not familiar with, but most of it is for feed. This part of New York is primarily dairy farms. Small and large they dominate the landscape around here.
My garden area is limited to small spaces located here and there around the lawn. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for whatever space I have to work with. All gardens are scared space as far as I am concerned!
 One of the things I love is that my lawn is surrounded by a meadow that in my mind is an extension of my garden. That being said, one of the things I DO NOT look forward to is the twice a year mowing and harvesting of the meadow!
              Enter Farmer Bubbins
                        (Dramatic music here)
There is no more beautiful sight than to see those gorgeous tall grasses gently swaying in the soft breeze, the sound almost like a hymn to nature! So imagine how my heart aches as it is mowed down..:(
Now for all the wonderful ladies out there who farm I know you have a handle on the necessity of hewing down meadows, but for a city girl this is a major catastrophe! 

 I wring my hands, I pace, I give Farmer Bubbins the evil eye! But all to no avail. In truth I have spoken to him many times and he is a lovely older man who  is so soft spoken it is hard not to adore him. But tell that to the ground nesting Blackbirds!
So as I watch in horror from my window the field is slowly reduced to rubble and I mourn it's loss.
It is mowed and turned and heaped and finally chopped and shot into the backs of trucks to be hauled away.
(note the cat running as far away as he can get from the noise).
Farmer Bubbins and I worked out a little deal early on that he would not mow a good 10 feet around my lawn so I could still pretend I have a meadow there if I lay on the ground.
So although they got a late start on the mowing because of the flooding, the first cutting is over and we all can breathe a sigh of relief for a couple of months!
So in 24 hours, one little day, the world around my home changed...sniff!
Poor Farmer Bubbins always pauses before he starts mowing and gives me an apologetic look and I guess that will have to suffice...sigh!
Hope you all have a great Father's Day weekend and many blessings to all the Dads out there!
 
Tina xo

















7 comments:

  1. poor farmer bubbins - made to feel guilty for taking his feed crop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    My heart understands, but at least you have those 10 feet. You captured great pics of the meadow. Your gardens are lovely!

    Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.
    XO from Texas, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, I look at the fields next to and in back of us and wish they would cut down everything. But I'd never thought of it as a meadow with beauty all its own; all I could think of was how untidy and grown up everything is. I'm going to look at it a bit differently now, seeing the flowers and the life that's there instead of the unkept grasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of feel the same way about the corn -- it provides so much privacy when it's high, only to be harvested and leaving me feeling somewhat exposed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, I would feel exactly the same way! At least he tries to be nice about it. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Just a warning on my book selection- it is about as far away from the Mitford series as it possibly can be. :)
    Enjoy your smmer,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, it'll grow back eventually, just like hair
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel - but at least Farmer Bubbins is a sweet man. :)
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it truly makes my day to read your thoughtful remarks!
Tina xo