Friday, August 5, 2011

Bee Nursery and Danger Lurks

I have to admit right up front that I love nature and am a toucher. Yep I love to reach out and feel things. Now in some situations that could be dangerous, like with bears or sharks, but bees I can handle.
 Take these slumbering workers. They worked till they fell asleep on the last flower visited and wait for the sun to shine the next morning before starting their day. So while they slumber I can reach out and pet their little backs (I'm hoping some of their industrious nature rubs off on me)!
On this flower alone there were 7 of the little fellas hidden around the petals!
Sometimes there is just one bee, sometimes a group.

Now the danger part of this post is that this year I have discovered  a bug I did not know existed. They are called Bee Assassins! If you go Google them you will see they are quite nasty from a bee's point of view. I have been watching for them on the flowers and discovered a few and they do indeed kill bees and I can't have that!!! Bees are struggling enough in this world as it is and I have to do my small part to protect them and keep the plants pollinated.
Although the pictures on Google show them as redish or blackish, mine are green with touches of yellow. They are smaller than bees but evidently their bite is toxic and paralyzes the bee. Yuck!
Well I am off to have breakfast with a friend this morning so I will bid you ado for now. Have a great day all!
 

8 comments:

  1. cute little bees! hope they stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    Thank you for sharing this very interesting information. I did not know that the bee can sleep on the flower and that many could sleep under the petals. Now for the bad bee, I am not happy with him. I will watch for this too and google it to find out more.
    Your pics are great and so vivid. You are so talented with your camera.

    Thank you for stopping and and your anniversary wishes. Good Luck in my giveaway.
    Hugs and blessings,
    Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bees, our best little buddies in the garden. I am now on the lookout for the dreaded assassins, they best stay away from here or else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tina!! To start, thank-you as always for your kind and thoughtful comments! I so enjoy our friendship and always enjoy hearing from you, which I'm sure you will agree isn't enough because our lives seem to take us in lots of directions! But I love sunflowers, and have heard of the 'bee assassins' that you're talking about and how they can totally wipe out a beehive in no time. It's horrible because as you mentioned, they are struggling as it is, and to have a new threat is really unsettling!

    I do hope though, that you've enjoyed your day and are doing well!! I wish we could meet, because I really enjoy going out for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos! I've never heard of bee assassins before! I will have to google it. I did notice fewer bees this summer - but perhaps that is simply because voles dug up so many of the flowers near the house.
    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the bee population is strong enough to battle this pest.. they have so many things working against them... lets hope a beneficical insect comes onto the horizon to put things back in balance for the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina, I saw a programme on how the bees are now endangered all over the world. Evidently until recently Australia was the only place those insects had not invaded, but sadly it has happened up north I think it was.

    I believe we export millions of bees overseas every year.
    x shirley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Tine,
    You are a bee protector! Yay! I have never heard of that bee foe before. Oh my! I am so glad you are keeping an eye out.
    Your sunflower is gorgeous! They always make me smile.
    I hope you have a great weekend : )
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it truly makes my day to read your thoughtful remarks!
Tina xo